Skip to content
Two Months before Move Day
- Contact Thoughtful Moving to make your reservation for the day you want to move.
- Take an inventory of your household goods
- Begin to remove clutter from the closets, garage and other storage areas of your home.
- Start a file for all of your moving paperwork. Arrange the transfer of school records.
- Get your new home ready. Contact cleaners, painters and remember to change the locks
Six Weeks before Move Day
- Start using food and cleaning supplies that cannot be moved.
- Clean all closets and drawers.
- Make arrangements for storage if necessary.
- Complete post office change of address cards.
Four Weeks before Move Day
- If you are doing your own packing, purchase packing materials and get started.
- Schedule disconnection of utility services at old home and connection at your new home.
- Make arrangements for transportation of your pets and plants if necessary.
- Plan your moving sale. Remember to check with local authorities about restrictions.
Three Weeks before Move Day
- Confirm details with Thoughtful Moving.
- If you live in or are moving to a building with an elevator, arrange for use of the elevator.
- If necessary, make child-care arrangements for moving day.
- Hold your moving sale.
Two Weeks before Move Day
- Arrange to donate or dispose of anything not sold at your move sale.
- Return library books and any borrowed items.
- Cancel or change newspaper delivery.
- Assemble a file of information to leave for the new owner of your home.
- Send change of address cards to anyone who will need to contact you or go online to usps.com to change your address.
- Pick up laundry / dry cleaning.
One Day before Move Day
- Let movers pack your belongings (unless you’ve done it yourself).
- Set aside anything that will travel in your car so it will not be loaded on the truck.
- Pack a box of items that will be needed first the new house. Marked “Load Last”.
- Obtain cash, money order or cashier’s check to pay movers.
- Be sure someone is at the old house to answer questions the movers may have.
- Double check your home before leaving to make sure you have not left anything behind.
- Supervise unloading and unpacking.